What's this blog about, then?

Hallo.

This blog is a way of storing and communicating stories about the Brownswood estate in the London Borough of Hackney. The blog came about because of a need to document the history of the area in the face of a threat by developers to demolish a large part of the Victorian streetscape in Wilberforce Road. I began to discover that the area, which, like many places, doesn't appear particularly distinguished at first, is in fact home to a rich seam of local and social history.

I'll be posting from time to time, and if you have any information to share I'd love to see it.

If you want to support the campaign to Save Wilberforce Road please visit the Facebook page of that name or the website http://www.savewilberforceroad.org.uk/

Comments

  1. I lived in Wilberforce throughout my childhood; my late parents rented rooms in No. 26 until 1954, then bought No. 116 where I lived until 1969 (just round the corner from Brownswood Road). My parents moved away circa 1977. My mother was a member of the Methodist Church (called Wesleyan in the map) at the top of the road, opposite Finsbury Park, and I attended cubs, scouts and a youth club there. I went to (Dame Alice) Owens Grammer School from 1959-1966, circa 3 miles away. My more recent forays to the area were to watch Arsenal with my elder son, and my partner. Whilst I enjoyed my childhood in the area, I no longer have any ties or friends in the borough. Roger F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Roger, thank you for this - it's very nice to hear from someone with memories of the area.
      Best wishes
      Professor shorthair

      Delete
    2. Dear Roger,
      Out of interest, do you know when the Wesleyan Church was demolished?
      Thanks
      Professor Shorthair

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts